We are now proud stockists of the Gutter Mate Diverter & Filter
Why do I need a filter?
A filter can save you from problems that are expensive and time consuming to resolve:
- The build-up of debris, moss and leaves can easily cause a blocked gutter.
- Debris entering water butts, rain barrels and soakaways can lead to blockages. Dirt getting into your tanks and barrels leads to an inefficient and ineffective rainwater harvesting system.
- Water build-up in the guttering can lead to the roofing felt absorbing the water, leading to mould and damp entering the house.
- The weight of the water stuck in the guttering could pull the guttering off the house.
- This is where the Gutter Mate Diverter & Filter comes in – it provides you with a simple yet effective solution.
standard practise of fitting what is called a bell or balloon type
strainer in the top of the downpipe to prevent debris, leaves and
moss from going down the downpipe may be done with good intentions;
however, the leaves and moss collect around the strainer and block
it. This means someone must climb a ladder to clean it. When fitting
the Gutter Mate Filter Diverter, we recommend you remove the
bell/balloon type strainer out of the top of the downpipe and allow
the rain water to wash the debris down the downpipe into the Gutter
Mate Filter, this goes a long way to helping prevent blockages.
Gutter Mate can be fitted and maintained at ground level,
meaning you can avoid the dangers of climbing up ladders, making it
easy for anyone of any ability to inspect -- you just look into the
top and, should it be necessary, clean it out. All you do is lift off
the filter top, lift out the filter basket, turn it upside down and
tap it to get the debris to fall out. In less than 30 seconds, you
will have cleaned the filter and replaced the parts. We recommend you
inspect once a week, but it really depends on your location and the
Why is the Gutter Mate different?
- Standard downpipe diverters have no filtration and - unlike the Gutter Mate Filter Diverter – can not be inspected or cleaned without removing the downpipe.
- Many other filter diverters only filter the water going into the water butt or tank, the Gutter Mate filters all the water going down the downpipe, protecting soakaways.
- The Gutter Mate is an award-winning diverter and filter which can filter all the water before it enters the water butt, tank, drain or soakaway.The innovative design prevents blockages by cleverly filtering out the debris coming down the downpipe.
- The Gutter Mate is designed to automatically cut off the water supply to the water butt when it is full, diverting the rain back into the downpipe.
- The Gutter Mate is recommended by leading agencies such as ‘Which?’ and ‘Waterwise’.
If you have any questions , please feel free to get in touch. You will find these filters in the Water Butts & Rain Barrels section of the website. They are available in black, brown or white to match your guttering.
Information in this article has been extracted from the Gutter Mate article ' The Gutter Mate Diverter & Filter - A peace of mind solution to rainwater collection'.